Friday, May 2, 2008

May comes in like Lion

So it snowed in Calgary on May 1st. Yup forget March people, that lion came in March, April and May to us folks on the prairie and I was smart enough to knit this lovely sweater for the husband just in time for the last two weeks (I hope) of bad weather. I am extremely pleased with ow this came out, it fits him perfectly and looks good on him to boot! Most importantly (I guess) he likes it too. For those of you that want to know, it is the Cobblestone pullover from Interweave Fall 07. The yarn is just good old Lamb's Pride worsted "Winter Blue". I went crazy and bought WAY too much yarn so now I have enough for a ladies size sweater in my stash always good to have around.




Now for the socks....
These first ones are yet another Cookie A pattern. Probably one of her most famous (cause it's free on Knitty) called Pomatomus. They're supposed to look like blue fish scales so I knit them in Claudia's hand painted "Ocean Depth" and I think they look fantastic, really stretchy and comfy to boot.
These are the socks I knit for my beloved Calgary Flames for the playoffs. Alas, just like the team, these socks were done by the end of the second period in game 7. Oh well, there's always next year. The pattern is from Fiber Trends called "raindrop lace"and the yarn is called (as you might have guessed) "Flames" by Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock.

We now interrupt this blog post for some gratuitous YARN!!!!
I used my discount coupon the other day when I was feeling particularly low to go on a spending spree at Blue Moon Fiber Arts. This (and three patterns) is what I ended up with. I am pleased to say I have no buyers remorse and I'm particularly in love with the "Seastone" colourway. They are, from left to right: Raven clan "Haida", "Lucy in the Sky", Hard Rock", "Seastone", "Pixie Park" and "Love in Idleness".
Say it with me now, Ahhhhh......


These are, perhaps, the most deceptively easy socks I have even knit. They are Gothic Spire from Cookie A. If you out there are holding on to this pattern at home but thinking they look too complicated (this means you blogless Coreena)I urge you to go ahead and give them a try, the pattern repeats around the leg and the wraps are explained nicely. A solid colour is definitely needed to show the pattern off and I chose Louet Gems in "Cherry Red". I just realized that I have knit a whole lot of red socks lately. Huh, wonder what that means?




Last, these are a pattern from Interweave 25 timeless Socks called "Go with the Flow" that I have seen knit up by my friend Elizaboothy. She liked it enough to knit them twice so I thought I'd give 'em a try. They are stretchy, tall, and pattern simple enough to show off variegated yarn. All good things. These are made using Cherry Tree Hill colourway "Green Mountain Madness".



Phew, that's all for now. See you soon with something other than socks, I'm on a bit of a scarf binge right now and I have four on the needles. Who needs scarves in May you might ask, Calgarians, that's who!


No comments: